An “Instant” Sermon
For worship on Sunday, August 23, 2015, Pastor Matt offered an “instant” sermon based on questions submitted by worshipers.
Here are the questions he addressed:
- “This week’s New York Times Acrostic Puzzle is the following quote from Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: ‘It’s lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky up there all speckled with stars and we used to look up and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened. Jim allowed they was made but I allowed they happened.’ What do you think?
- What can we do in the world to ease the plight of the masses of immigrants fleeing such places as Syria?
- How do we as Christians explain/justify the political climate in this country? (lack of bipartisanship as one problem)
- How can I worship God in a way that will be truly pleasing to Him?
- Why do people believe that there is only one way to believe in God? One finds love, the other hate; one peace, the other war… ?
- If Jesus stated that there is a new covenant—one of a loving God—why do we still hear of God’s vengeance?
- Where do you buy the bread served at communion?
- Jesus taught us to pray “Our Father”, not ‘mother God’. Why do you sometimes refer to God as Mother?
As soon as it becomes available, video of the sermon will be added to this page so you can hear how Pastor Matt responded!